Friday, July 23, 2010

Kristi's Rhubarb Pie with Christina's Twist!

Thank you Kristi for allowing me to play with this recipe!! It was yummy!! (I'll post pictures in a bit!)

For the original recipe see http://kristimenuideas.blogspot.com/2010/07/strawbery-rhubarb-pie.html.

The nutritional values of the original pie (cut into 8 servings) are as follows:

392.2 Cal/serving
16.2g fat/ serving
2.6g fibre/ serving
9 ww points... (holy crap.)


Here is my version:

Filling:
3 C Rhubarb (cut into pieces)
1/3 C Sugar
1/2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/8 C stevia
1/8 C coconut flour
1 pt. Sliced fresh strawberries

Crust:
1/2 C Lard or Veg Shortening
1/2 C Coconut flour
1 C All purpose flour
Enough Ice water to moisten

Cook @ 425 for 15 min
Then reduce temp to 350 for 30-35 min. (It only took 30 min in my oven so that's why the cooking times are different than the original recipe)

Nutritional Value per slice (pie cut into 8):

249.7 Cal
15.3g fat
2.8g Fibre
Almost 7 WW points... (yikes)

So this is still not something I would eat very often but I did manage to shave off 142.5 cal per serving. (1140 cal off the whole pie... woot woot!)

Thanks again for the recipe Kristi!

P.S. Thanks to my mommy's thinking I have realized that I could try and substitute the lard in the crust (which has 924.5 cal per 1/2 c and 102.5g fat) with coconut butter (which has 640 cal per 1/2 c) that would reduce the calories significantly. I'll let you know if I attempt it later!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you had fun with it and its an indulgent treat! can't wait to have you back home!!!